The B4 School Check is a FREE health check for pre-school children/ tamariki who turn four after 1 June 2008 to make sure they are healthy and can learn well at school.
The B4 School Check will be undertaken by registered nurses and will take between 40-60 minutes. It will include:
- child health questionnaire
- behavioural/developmental screening – Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire (SDQ) and Parental Evaluation
- Developmental Status (PEDS) tools
- hearing and vision screening
- measurement of height and weight recording
- oral health assessment – Lift the Lip
- health promotion and education
- referrals to appropriate health, education or social services and follow up
- immunisation (if overdue) where possible
The B4 School Check is the eighth (and final) core contact of the Well Child Tamariki Ora Schedule of services. It is not designed to pick up every health problem your child might have, so if you have any concerns about your child at any time, talk to your family doctor.
For more information on the B4 School Check visit the Ministry Of Health site or call the free 24-hour health advice service Healthline on 0800 611 116 which includes a Well Child line that provides parenting advice and health education information.
To find out where and when the B4 School Check will be available in your area click on the map below which best represents the area of Auckland in which you live..